I should be sleeping, not blogging, but after three cups of English Breakfast tea, I'm a jittery, overtired, but wide awake mess. This is not normal practice for me, but I went out for the first time after uke club with the group. They like to hang post-class at Robin Hood, a British Pub in Van Nuys. What a neat mix of people! I felt like I was with a pack of mid-westerners, and being in LA, I probably was. We talked about the economy, farm animal caging, writing, plants...you name it. I even got some sound financial advice from one of the older guys when I said I wished someone had given me financial guidance at age 18 so that I started saving then and investing in real estate. That's all I had to say and my seat mate grabbed a pen and gave me a mini-lesson. Fortunately, I guided myself a tad around age 30, but heck if he didn't give me some great pointers on my paper place mat, which now rests in my purse.
The club was particularly stellar tonight. My friend Emily from church joined us for the first time and she did amazingly well for a first-timer. We always do an open mic at the end of class where people can play things they've been working on at home. Pam performed a rendition of a very funny Hoyt Axton song that she worked out by ear. I was proud and impressed. I did a song I wrote a couple of weeks ago and one of the grandfatherly gents played a version of Puff the Magic Dragon, which brought back childhood memories. To be quite frank, people,
my parents told us they were getting divorced while I was watching Puff the Magic Dragon on TV when I was 9. I still enjoyed the song. And that 1980 event did not turn Puff sour for me, as I had a child's resiliency and looked forward to future adventures which were to be had. And believe you me, I had them. My life has been good. But now that I think of it, maybe we were watching Pete's Dragon, not Puff. Whatever. There was a dragon involved somehow.
After several hours of carousing (this is not an accurate description, but I like to fancy myself a faux carouser), I zipped home PDQ. About half a mile from my house my tire blew and I just kept praying to get home safely, especially since it was nearly midnight. Thankfully, I slid into my parking space just as the tire gave out completely. I know how I'll be spending my morning, but tonight was a good night anyway...
The club was particularly stellar tonight. My friend Emily from church joined us for the first time and she did amazingly well for a first-timer. We always do an open mic at the end of class where people can play things they've been working on at home. Pam performed a rendition of a very funny Hoyt Axton song that she worked out by ear. I was proud and impressed. I did a song I wrote a couple of weeks ago and one of the grandfatherly gents played a version of Puff the Magic Dragon, which brought back childhood memories. To be quite frank, people,
my parents told us they were getting divorced while I was watching Puff the Magic Dragon on TV when I was 9. I still enjoyed the song. And that 1980 event did not turn Puff sour for me, as I had a child's resiliency and looked forward to future adventures which were to be had. And believe you me, I had them. My life has been good. But now that I think of it, maybe we were watching Pete's Dragon, not Puff. Whatever. There was a dragon involved somehow.After several hours of carousing (this is not an accurate description, but I like to fancy myself a faux carouser), I zipped home PDQ. About half a mile from my house my tire blew and I just kept praying to get home safely, especially since it was nearly midnight. Thankfully, I slid into my parking space just as the tire gave out completely. I know how I'll be spending my morning, but tonight was a good night anyway...

No comments:
Post a Comment