Saturday, December 4, 2010

Burn, Baby, Burn

I almost burned my bathroom down last night. Okay. So that's an exaggeration. But I could have if it weren't for the fire alarm. I was making dinner for M., E. and R. and was otherwise engaged in trying to get everything done before they arrived. Then BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP. I moseyed on over to the fire alarm and swatted at it, thinking that it was just smoke from cooking that set it off, but I suddenly ducked into the guest bathroom and WOWZA. Realized I had quite dumbly lit two candles next to a small vase with a fake sprig of flowers in it that was now on fire and growing kinda tall. After some major huffing and puffing, I blew that house down. I threw away the destroyed vase and awesome Asian flowers and was left with this minor aftermath of Towering Inferno, Staci-style:

I come by it honestly. My dad almost burned down our kitchen once. Right, Pops? Dinner was good in spite of the fact that my guests arrived about a minute after I got the fire out and the house was full of smoke and I was in a bit of a kerfuffle. A kerfuffle, I tell you! After things calmed down and we sat down to eat, it turned into a lovely evening, topped with a rousing few rounds of Rummikub. If you've never played, invite yourself over to my house sometime for a game.

A few months back my friend Bob asked if I could use my board member connection to get him into the Music Box for Nick Cave's sold out concert. I didn't know who Nick Cave was, but figured it would be an adventure. And it was. Firstly because as I waited for Bob in front of the theater on Tuesday I got to observe an interesting pre-concert crowd. My favorite part was experiencing the seedy underbelly of ticket scalping. Fascinating culture, people. I was standing against the wall for a long time waiting and I think these dudes thought I was a scalper competitor. They eyed me suspiciously and paced nervously. I loved it. When Bob arrived we stepped into the guest list line next to Ellen Page (shorter than me! Aces!), got our wristbands, and made our way up to the owners' box. Which we had to ourselves, complete with our own bathroom and free drinks. Very cool.

Now I can't say that I became a Nick Cave fan during the course of the night (frankly, I thought my ears might spontaneously start bleeding at any given moment), but I could appreciate some of the poetry of parts of his writing and watching the fans go ballistic. I also couldn't take my eyes off this other guy onstage. I leaned over to Bob and said "How nice of Nick Cave to allow that homeless man with maracas to perform with him." He actually played a mean violin eventually, but I was taken with all of his kicking and throwing himself down on the ground and turning his back to the audience while he danced all crazy-like.

Speaking of taste, it wasn't really mine, but later Bob sent this link to another song of theirs, and I kind of dug it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - Bob is one lucky dude!! Had I but known you had those connections I'd have you used you in a heart beat :)

Anonymous said...

Been there, burnt that! I pulled a similar number on some bedroom wall furnishings, and a bookcase back in college. If it weren't for my (beloved) rag doll 'LaLa' being stuffed with some kind of poly-fill that created thick, black smoke, the alarm might not have gone off as soon as it did. She gave her raggedy little life to save mine and the lives of a couple dozen senior citizens I shared a small apt. complex with! (Moment of fluffy silence for LaLa, please.)

I'm so happy you got to the fire in time!!!! Planet Earth without SA would give me a permanent boo-boo lip.

--PV

Anonymous said...

If you remember, I was upstairs taking a splinter out of your finger and had a pan of oil on the stove to make french fries. When I came down the stairs, I saw a reflection from the kitchen on the living room wall that looked like the towering inferno.

Luckily I didn't burn the house down, but we had considrable damage to the kithen and house from smoke. And I burned my hand when I tried to throw the blazing pan out the back door. Dumb!


Love You,

Dad

Staci said...

Of course I remember, Dad. In fact, I wrote a ukulele song about it:)

schu said...

yes, danica and i will totally exploit your mad connections! ;)

once my dad yelled to me from the dining room table, "i think something is burning!" i come into the living room from my room down the hall to see a candle tipped onto the woodframe of the mantel mirror- on fire - apparently dad thought the candles were my responsibility and so wanted me to "deal with it"... even though he was only 5ft away.

my word verv is snulat. so snulat to that. and to kerfuffles too.

Staci said...

Danica and Karen - please exploit my connections. You should look at their music calendar and sometime in the future when you see a concert you both want to go to, I'll see what I can do.

PV - So sorry for the untimely demise of Lala, but glad she gave her life for yours. While I'm sure Lala would have been a good buddy, I think I prefer you. I'm sure you're much easier to talk to. I hate one-sided conversations.