Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thwarted

All I want is a Christmas tree, but I smack into a wall at every turn. I go through the whole "Should I get a tree?" annually and it being my first year in my condo, I decided the answer was yes. I even decided my snobbishness towards fake trees had to come to an end because if I get one, I won't have to decide each Christmas whether or not to get a tree. I'll flippin' own one.

Inexpensive artificial trees are hard to come back. Target had an awesome 6-ft unlit tree for a mere $20, but all the smart people snatched those up way before it was even on my radar. Can't even find them online or at another store. They're just plumb out of stock. Turns out none of the hardware stores or any other place I've checked have any that are even close in terms of looking good and being reasonably-priced - and most of the stock is just plain gone anyway. Drats and double drats. I drove to store after store searching for a tree to call my own.

Last night I thought, heck I'll just go to Home Depot and get a real tree for $20, plus the $8 cheapy stand. The line was huge and I realized hauling a tree by myself at 10pm was going to be pretty impossible, me being weak and tired. I slouched off and headed home, defeated. I went back tonight right before closing - no other people in sight - and picked out a tree.....so exciting! But they were out of stands. Correction. They were out of cheap stands. They had 30-bucker stands, but if you know me, you know that weren't gonna happen no way, no how. So now I'm treeless in Burbank and hoping that just the right tree will present itself.

If I woke up in the morning and there was a fully-decorated tree in my living room, it would be a super duper funtastic miracle. I don't need Mary, Mother of Jesus to show up in the browned pattern of my toast. Just a hassle free Christmas tree will do me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gah! We have opposite problems! My living room is festooned with our 7 foot artificial tree which is covered in a zillion lights and blown glass icicles this year for the first time because we have no cats. CORRECTION: We HAD no cats. We just adopted TWO cats yesterday. Now, don't get me wrong, these are quality cats. I loves 'em. I thought I could keep them in the spare room until Christmas is over, but they are acclimating very quickly and are eager to explore. --- Can't let 'em out though, as that tree is too dangerous for them. I really like that tree AND I really like those cats... which will 'win?'

RE: artificial tree -- The best time to get one is the morning after Christmas at a high-end artificial tree store. Shop now and know which trees you like so you can snag one at 50% off. -- Some online catalogs have 50% off trees right now. You will not find a $20 tree of course, but our tree is going on 10 years and is still as good as day one, so you have to think about the longevity of the thing as well as the amazing convenience. (Not only will you have a tree at the ready, you can put it up Dec 1 and leave it up until Epiphany without a hitch because it requires no watering. (Can't damage your floors, either!) To make an artificial tree last be sure to buy a good storage bag for it! -- Try a high end tree store after Christmas or The Container Store...)

One of the super-nice things about an artificial tree is that you can get a narrow one, or even a 'corner' one or a half tree that can be placed flush against a wall. If you want the smell of a fresh tree, just bring in a few fresh boughs for a table arrangement. Ooooh! newer trees are fitted with LED lights, which means lower energy consumption. Also a good thing!

Good luck!

Staci said...

Thanks, PV!