A couple of weeks ago B. and I were talked about dreams of natural disasters. We both have them. The only difference is that sometimes they happen when I have them...the time I dreamed of a cluster of tornadoes in Tennessee and they happened. The time I had a dream that a giant wave went over a cruise ship and then heard it on the news the next day. So I guess it was just routine that on Thursday night, March 10th I had a dream that I was in a high-rise during a massive, catastrophic earthquake. I awoke to the news about Japan on Friday and was horrified. Not only because of the dream, but because my Australian sister and her husband had just flown to Japan for a vacation and were in a high-rise hotel in Tokyo when the earthquake struck. Thankfully they were fine and after a number of days eventually were able to make it back home.My brain can't even conceive of this level of disaster even though I'm watching the news and seeing the images. I cannot fathom my entire family and home being swept away. Fearing that my food supply will be contaminated by radiation or that my children will be exposed to it through the air they breathe each day. The Japanese are a strong people, but what an incomprehensible and massively challenging future they have ahead of them. I hope and pray for mercy, comfort and peace to envelope them in the days and years ahead....
I have since beefed up my emergency water supply and earthquake kit (although I admit it's sometimes hard not to steal snacks from my supply when I'm too lazy for a trip to the grocery store) and have started having minor home buyer's remorse. What if we have a devastating quake and my home is destroyed? I have to come up with the mortgage for 30 years on a place that doesn't exist? Maybe it doesn't pay to own in CA....

1 comment:
Thats very spooky, if you ever dream about Sydney can you let me know in advance!
My heart really goes out to the Japanese who have lost loved ones and homes and still have to face the daunting prospect of nuclear meltdown and contaminated water and food. Particularly as every Japanese person we came in contact with were so kind and sweet and really looked after us after the earthquake.
Post a Comment