This morning I met a friend of mine at Aroma Cafe in Studio City. I used to live a few blocks down the street from this charming coffee shop when it opened years ago. It's become incredibly popular, with a line often winding its way out the door. As I sat out front waiting for my friend, I was jarred by what I observed around me. Everyone was attractive, first off. I mean REALLY good-looking. And everyone, men included, was fashionable and clearly mindful of their appearance. And nearly everyone was talking on their bluetooth or texting, even if they were sitting with a friend. People were not connecting in spite of being attached to a piece of technology that is supposed to help you reach out and communicate. Are we that afraid to cope with being alone that we can't leave the iPhone or Blackberry out of our sight for a second? When I'm with someone, I make an effort to turn the phone off or at least refrain from answering it so the person I'm with doesn't feel like something or someone else is more important to me at that moment than my time with them. I know I'm not saying anything revolutionary here and I hate to complain, but I'm in that kind of mood and I don't think I'll squash it this time. People: I don't want to be a part of your phone conversations! Especially in close quarters. Or if you're in line at the grocery store, be courteous and acknowledge the person serving you. Can't you talk on the phone in your car or something? Where are manners here? I'm embarrassed to have a phone conversation in front of others. I like to tuck myself into a corner and discreetly take care of business. I'm really sorry I'm judging. I'm just agitated and I know I do sucky, inconsiderate things in my life that are no better than what I'm railing against right now.
All of the conversations I eavesdropped on this morning were about this script, that agent, a beauty appointment, etc. I do recognize that I'm in the entertainment capital of the world, but suddenly I am bothered. I want to be in a place that is extremely down-to-earth, where no one turns their heads to see who is around, where people are present with one another, where appearance isn't quite as highly valued. Not to say that doesn't exist here...it really does. You just have to look a little harder. This could be a reaction to the particular season of life I find myself in at the moment, but I want an escape. To that end, I'm planning lots of little trips. Halloween in Virginia (I miss autumn like you wouldn't believe), Christmas in Florida, and a birthday adventure in Costa Rica. I wonder where I'll ultimately end up. I've thought about Colorado, Nashville, Virginia - I'm open - but it would be tough to just up and leave the life I've spent building and start over somewhere else unless I had a good reason. I have strong friendships, a good job, a great church, a fantastic home and roommate...but I can smell change a comin'. What form that change will take is a mystery. I always know when a restlessness is falling upon me and stirring me to action. I want to do whatever or go wherever God leads me, but I know I'm allowed to choose. I'm just not sure what I want anymore...
The paradox of insular language
3 years ago

2 comments:
Oh boy, this explains why I didn't want to live in L.A. long term. And believe it or not your "3 strikes" rule saved my sanity our last year there. But yeah, the cell phone thing is awful. Where is Oregon on your list of places?! You would LOVE Sisters in Central Oregon. We were just there last week. Talk about down-to-earth.
Hey, Lori -
I still haven't been to Oregon. I still have visiting you on my radar. I want to check it out!
Staci
Post a Comment