Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Monkeys!


If you know me at all, you probably know that I'm a fan of the monkey. Many years ago my brother Justin taught me a very simple equation: Monkeys = Comedy. And I've been laughing ever since. You've got a movie that's not so funny? Stick a monkey in it. Want to wish someone a hilarious birthday? Give them a card with a monkey on it. The possibilities are endless. My standard greeting for many friends is "Monkey!" I call most babies monkey, too (although I try to reserve that for the children of close friends and family, lest someone think I'm making a commentary about their child's appearance.) Even the word "monkey" is funny. Go ahead, say it. Mon-key. Funny, right?

A few months ago I was invited to "Breakfast with the Monkeys". Believe it or not, there's a Gibbon Conservation Center tucked away on a hidden dirt road out in Santa Clarita. They have the greatest collection of gibbons outside of their native countries. I'm telling you, the owner loves monkeys way more than I do and he dedicates his life to them. It was amazing to watch them interact and swing so incredibly fast. And these particular monkeys sing! I'd like to say that their repertoire includes things like "Roll Out the Barrel" or "Beat it", but they do this kind of screechy call to one another that's pretty cool to witness, especially when all of them get going.


No comments: