Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Elroy

Elroy works at the Burbank YMCA. He's an older gentleman with a slight limp and a smile that stretches for miles. I've NEVER seen Elroy in any state other than joy and optimism and I often think about the hundreds of people he affects daily with that simple quality and outlook.

Last week I was walking down the hall on my way out when Elroy comes around the corner. He's singing Motown and smiling that smile. In one fluid movement he stretches out both of his arms and I walk right into them and we hug it out. I mean, really. One of the best, most comforting hugs ever. No words exchanged. We pull apart and he keeps strutting and singing and I walk out the door. I smile an Elroy smile the rest of the morning.

Sometimes God just wants to give you a hug, I suppose.

2 comments:

Ukulele Baby said...

wow. That's the human experience at it's finest.

Lori said...

incredible.