Friday, July 24, 2009

KA-razy with a "K"

Crazy day. People in and out of my office, texts from a friend in crisis, trying to get someone to deal with a family emergency, conference calls, cancellations....lots o' things. Which is why my friend immediately bought me a glass of wine when he picked me up tonight to take me to a play. I think I gulped it like a glass of tap water. It had the desired effect, melting the stress and bringing out the sassy. After that we went to see Heavy Like The Weight of a Flame at the Odyssey, a one-man show that had gotten Critic's Pick (somewhere). I love one-person shows and it took me a few minutes to figure out why this one wasn't resonating with me. The word indulgent kept popping in my head. The guy who performed the show clearly had some talent, but I don't think that his director helped him out very much and the story he was trying to tell was muddied. Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy were in the small audience (there were maybe 30-40 of us) and I wanted to ask them afterwards what their thoughts were. Many people wandered out saying "That was wonderful", but I just didn't feel anything. It wasn't bad. It was just there.

We had some fro yo (oh, yeah...I've got a bevy of hip phrases in my arsenal) at a place where they had a turntable and were playing groovy tunes (specifically Saturday Night Fever). "We only play vinyl, my friends." I had the very strong urge to bust a move or maybe do the Worm. I didn't. I probably should have. We met Larry, a tiny slip of an Asian guy who was friendly and talkative. I couldn't tell if he owned the place or if he worked there. Or was just hanging out because it was where he wanted to be. Those people were having a grand old time, though, especially for a yogurt place. Sometimes it's fun to talk to strangers instead of just blowing by, ensconced in our own bubble. A nice end to what started out as an explosive day...

I just found out something really cool! Apparently I can get dual citizenship and become an Italian citizen. If your father, grandfather, or great-grandfather were born in Italy and didn't renounce their Italian citizenship, you can do a freakin' boatload of paperwork and gather all sorts of birth, death and marriage certificates, get documents translated and eventually, possibly after having things kicked back for a corrections a few times, become an Italian citizen! That means I could work without a visa in any country in the European Union. Dude! I think I'm going to do it. And fortunately for me, my dad and his newly-found brother are big into geneology, so they have a lot of the documents I need on hand already. Yippy skippy!!!

1 comment:

mendacious said...

i cannot wait to visit you in europe!