Thursday, August 13, 2009

Lady A.

My friend A. is a saint. She gave me an incredible FREE MASSAGE tonight because quite frankly, I'm in back agony. She's got the magic touch. While I was there, she told me that her new man friend is about 20 years + younger than her. I spent ten minutes trying to convince her that it wasn't wrong and she had nothing to feel badly about. Men have been hanging with significantly younger ladies since the beginning of time. Why is it such a shocker when it's the other way around? Such a blatant double standard. My best friend is married to a man who will be eligible to start collecting social security come December, so believe me when I say I understand age difference. Anyway, I was thrilled for her. Connecting with someone on multiple levels just doesn't come around all that often, so it seems silly not to explore the potential. Alfred Molina is married to a much older woman. So is Maxwell Caulfield. And of course there's Mr. Demi Moore, the spritely young Ashton Kutcher. I say hooray for A.!!!

Chillaxed with my brother a few weeks ago and I couldn't help but write down a few of the things he said. I really should keep a collection of his quotes and turn it into a book one day. He and I do not have the same viewpoint at all on matters of faith. I think God exists. He doesn't. And he occasionally makes fun of the Christian culture, which I don't begrudge him. He lives right by TBN. It's kind of a ridiculous monstrosity up in there. Once he and his friend went to their gift shop and bought out their supply of t-shirts that read "Satan is a doo-doo head!" I have often encouraged him not to base his belief in God on other people because people are fallible and there are nutballs in every culture, but there are plenty of people of faith who are grounded and very genuine. He smiles and reminds me he just couldn't believe in all that hooey even if he wanted to. Anyway, we were on a pilgrimage to our shared mecca, Chik-fil-A and he tells me it is the absolute best fast food place, hands down - and the people are the nicest people in pretty much any business anywhere.

Staci: Chik-Fil-A is owned by Christians, dude. Coincidence? I think not.
Justin: I think Christian people are nice. They don't rob banks or say "What the f%#$*! you lookin' at?"

Later, on the Duggars (a conservative Christian family who don't believe in birth control and consequently have 18 kids):
Justin: I think they're nice. I just can't stand what they're doin' over there.

I love my brother. I think at least 25% of my comedy stylings are stolen from or influenced by him. And believe me, he's got way funnier material than the above.

What I want to know is the Duggars' child-raising secrets. All 18 of those kids are well-behaved and none of them seem crazy. You'd think with that many you'd get at least one nutty or rebellious one..........


No comments: