Monday, August 31, 2009

Peace Out

Yesterday at church the sermon was about the age-old adage of being content in all circumstances. Yikes. It's a freakin' brilliant idea. I love it. But achieving it feels like trying to thread a needle the size of a molecule. The teacher suggested that we have assurance in the Bible that points to us reaching that kind of joyful contentment and said that we really can't do it of our own will. It says "Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you." There are moments that I feel the kind of contentment and peace that defies all understanding, but how to make those moments stretch longer until they cover the majority of the time?

My best friend and I stayed up late last night talking and she had a cool idea for dealing with fear. She said to take the thing you fear most, the absolute worst possible scenario that could happen, and process it emotionally as if it's already happened. Then you are free to live your life instead of being imprisoned by the fear. Instinctively I've already done this in a way. I've decided to keep moving forward as if some of my most pressing desires are, for lack of a better word, dead. This isn't to say that I have no hope, but I am going on and straining towards acceptance knowing that there's liberty in the letting go. All that said, several stressors have reared their ugly heads in the past few days, but as I ran around barefoot in the grass with my godson watching the the sunset reflecting off his apple cheeks, I thought, This moment is the only thing that matters right now. Don't miss it, Staci. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow will take care of itself.

By the way, if you are the praying kind, please pray for my stepmother, Lexie. She had a heart attack this weekend. It turns out she had a 99% blockage (she eats healthy and exercises, but heart problems run in her family) and they did surgery and put in a stint. Thankfully she is doing well and leaves the hospital tomorrow, but please pray that this is the first and last cardiac problem she'll have to endure. Thank goodness my dad was awake and called 911 right away so that she got medical attention in the critical first hour. God is good.

2 comments:

Charlie said...

I've been hibernating in Ecclesiastes lately and your post compelled me to turn to this part:

"Even so, I have noticed one thing, at least, that is good. It is good for people to eat, drink, and enjoy their work under the sun during the short life God has given them, and to accept their lot in life. And it is a good thing to receive wealth from God and the good health to enjoy it. To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life - this is indeed a gift from God. God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past."

Ecclesiastes 5:18-20, New Living Translation

Staci said...

Ooh, I like that. Thanks, Charlie (aka JC)!