Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Will Ryan's Cactus County Cowboy Round-Up

Within a week of posting the new version of my song to Youtube, I got a gig! Last night, thanks to Quinn, I was a special guest at Will Ryan's Cactus County Cowboy Round-Up, a kind of western-themed Prairie Home Companion show that has been running for a year at the Steve Allen Theater in Hollywood. I can't tell you how much fun it was and how incredibly bizarre to be thrown into a group of real musicians. One of them I was told is one of the best guitar players in the country, John Reynolds. He's the grandson of silent movie star Zasu Pitts and has been playing forever. And he backed me up on my song! He was funny, kind, and told me it was a pleasure to play with me. Back in the dressing room this skinny older guy and I shared some popcorn. I thought he looked familiar, so when I got home I googled him and found this. His cowboy character was blind and did rope tricks. Also playing last night was Ian Whitcomb. How in the world did I end up in the company of these people?

Honestly, it was like stepping back into time, like the vaudeville show I saw a few weeks back. And incredible to hear all of these talented musicians play. Everyone was so welcoming, encouraging and friendly and they treated me a like a real musician. I even got to play with them in the final song of the night! When they first met me, one of the women asked if I had an Amish background. I could tell she was uncomfortable at first because she thought the dress I was wearing was my actual dress. "It's a costume. I'm a polygamist sister-wife." "Ohhhhh!" Will came up with a funny introduction for me, and I came out in character and started to sing. According to Pam, who was in the audience (thanks, Pam!), they loved it. That's the great thing about comedy. You don't have to sing well or play well if your song is funny. Amazingly, I reserved my major attack of nerves and shaking hands for after I did my song, so it worked out well. I snuck into the back of the audience to watch the rest of the show and trembled for a good ten minutes.

I hope I get to do this again soon.....

1 comment:

Ukulele Baby said...

Do you realize that you are now officially a VAUDEVILLIAN?!?!?? Okay, so you were my friend before you played this gig, but now, Chickadee, you are my MEGA-SOOPA-DEE-LUXE friend. There's just too much goodness rolled into one lady for you to be anything else.