Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Weird Wednesday

About a month or two ago I finally hired someone to cut my door in half at work and make a dutch door. It's the kind of door where you can lock the bottom half to keep people out, but leave the top half open, like a service window, so people can still talk to you. It was a necessity. The building where I work is a public building, like a satellite city hall, with a few city offices and a few police offices. Public meaning, anyone can get in. Anyone. Based on my experience in my office, I would say that Hollywood has the most crazy per capita than anywhere else in the nation.

Typically people wander in off the street looking for the Office of Finance, the Councilman's office, or wanting to make a police report. I refer them to the appropriate place if I can. Fifty percent of the time, the person at my door is crazy. Well, today a little old Lebanese woman came in. With her limited English I couldn't understand everything she was trying to get across, but it was something about her neighbors stealing $120,000 worth of jewelry from her. She wanted to get a copy of the police report. I went and got an officer across the hall and she started to help the lady, but left me alone with her while she checked something out. The woman blessed me up and down, then started to cry. "My foot broken, darling! My foot broken. She steal pillow covers! Nobody listen to me. I show you something!" She then took off her shirt. Took it off! I wish someone could have seen my face. I didn't know what to do. I'm looking up and down the hall like "Somebody help me here!", but it was deserted. That was when I realized she was crazy and likely a regular at the police station. Fortunately the officer came back and I left her to deal with it while I slipped out to go to a meeting. I could tell if I stuck around she would never leave my office. And I would have been too nice to usher her out.

Immediately after that, I found myself in what is likely a hub of the Armenian mafia. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Two of the guys in the office had an altercation while I was there and I was tempted to just leave without the money that the chief mafioso owed us from our silent auction because I was certain there was a shoot out coming. But the angry chaps eventually stopped yelling and huffed away to their own corners. In addition to today's fun, in the last month, I have also been encircled by cult members, serenaded by an Elvis impersonator (not long after my meeting with Priscilla Presley - oh, the irony), and met the mayor.
My job is not boring. for this I am grateful.

Just saw (500) Days of Summer. Loved it. We also had a screener for It's Complicated, which was fun, too. I'm finally catching up on the flicks. And I caught The Lovely Bones last night. Hope you are all catching up on your movies, too.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

mendacious said...

FAN-tastic!

Anonymous said...

Good call on that door thing, lady!!!