Not funny. I finally go to my first Hollywood Chamber of Commerce mixer to connect with more people/businesses in the community for work. First person I see when I walk in? My first boyfriend's best friend. Whom I haven't seen in a few years. And he proceeds to tell me he literally just got off the phone with my ex, whom he happens to be having lunch with tomorrow. The one who now has a gorgeous family and is stunningly successful. He then asks me how I'm doing and what's up with me. Ack. It's one of those moments where you want to appear like life has been nothing but a glorious ride to ensure that that is the message that gets relayed to ye olde ex. Like a few years ago, my best friend ran into her ex-husband for the first time who was on his way to some sort of festival. He was wearing.....wait for it..... LEDERHOSEN! He looked silly and had another failed marriage on the books, she looked awesome and has a great husband and a jaunty little boy. Let's not pretend. That's what we hope for when running into an old flame. To appear happy, settled and a success. In my scenario, I was the one wearing lederhosen, metaphorically speaking. I'm not a good liar and didn't feel moved to list any achievements or highlights. I just spoke true. "I'm working, I just bought a place. Things have been a little rough this year." A little humility never hurt anyone. No big whoop. I am where God has me and He is doing some interesting things. There is more to my story. I can't wait to see what comes next.....
The paradox of insular language
3 years ago

4 comments:
But can he play the ukulele?
And does he have a sexy walk?
I'm guessing a big fat no on both counts.
I'm totally with charley here along with what you do for a job and how awesome that is! and your stunning deco talents among countless other things... obsession with polygamy, riding helicopters over LA. whatevs... you know what we're saying.
:)
I'll tell you what he's reporting back to the ex: "She looks HOT!" You are gorgeous and funny and smart and have it all going on, girlfriend! Although I enjoyed the metaphor, you were not the one wearing lederhosen.
Post a Comment