Monday, August 22, 2011

Milonga

My friend Adrian seems intent upon drawing me deeper into the tango world. I had planned a day to myself yesterday, but around 4pm he messaged me that there was a special milonga at someone's house. I don't know why I even hesitated. The fear of not knowing people? Still not having had a real tango lesson? Having to drive across town to Brentwood? No matter. An hour and a half later I dragged myself away from the exciting task of cleaning out my closet and threw on some tango-appropriate duds and sailed out the door.....and into a tango wonderland.

An older woman named Joanne opened up her her house - estate, really -- to at least 80 people. As I entered people immediately began introducing themselves and other people to me. The pointed out the excellent spread of food and drinks and led me outside where I saw an outdoor pavilion with at least a dozen couples wrapped in each other's arms doing the sultry dance. I was enchanted.


Adrian wasn't there yet, so I sat on a chair and watched the couples move beautifully, gliding along the dance floor. I was there less than two minutes before Caribe asked me to dance. I warned him of my beginner status (which never seems to deter anyone) and he patiently began teaching me some basic steps. After we danced a set, another man asked me to dance. And another. Then another. After a go round with a gentle, long-haired man named Scott, the uber-confident organizer E. swept down and exclaimed "
Why don't you dance with a much better looking guy?" Men would pass me off with a compliment "It's an honor to dance with such a beautiful woman"; "You're picking this up very nicely"; "We'll do it again, yes?"

Some were better leaders than others. Some were a little cocky, some completely silent and humble, some experts in pushing my legs where they needed to go. The best leaders make you feel like you've been dancing forever, pivoting and smoothly reaching your leg across your partner's. It's an intimate dance without being skeevy. Scott gave me valuable advice: "
If someone asks you to dance, feel free to say no. If he's creepy, or smelly, you want to say no right away because if you don't, you're stuck with him for a set of 3-4 songs, which could be 12 minutes. Don't put yourself in that position."

Right now, I'm the Easy Agnes of tango. I'll say yes to anyone. My biggest problem is my height. While there are a lot of shorter guys, the taller ones seem to like me. But my face ends up buried in an armpit, a not wholly pleasant thing.


Anyway, the tango world is like some classy parallel universe. People are unafraid to approach someone new and introduce themselves. They are inclusive. They are people with varied interests. They are exotic. Many are from other countries. I think I may be getting sucked in. Looks like I'll be investing in a pair of dance shoes....



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lexie and I are slated for a tango lesson in Argentina. Glad you are enjoying!

Love Ya, Dad