Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Snippets

In the past two weeks I have:

Passed the written test at the DMV and scored my motorcycle license. Yippee! But I won't buy a motorcycle. Those things are dangerous.

Been asked out by a middle-aged man in a Snoopy shirt (which sparked a mini-debate with K.Lo about giving him a chance. But again, K.Lo, you were not there to witness the intense social strangeness that accompanied the request. It wasn't a retro, cool wearing of the Snoopy shirt. Rather, the outfit lent credibility to the nagging sense that if he were to get me alone, he just might kill me a little. K.Lo's husband agreed with me.)

Met a lady who makes sneakers for dogs. She also went to an animal spiritualist after her beloved cat died, who then helped her "find" another cat that they believe is the reincarnated version of the dead cat. Hmmm. But I like meeting new people.

Hung out with a former 80's band front man.

Learned how Norway kept their heads and avoided a frenzy when they discovered oil. Norwegian thoughtfulness and prudence is coolio.

Been saved by my email. It absolutely refused to let me send one email that was a little pithy (it just wouldn't send no matter how many times I punched the button on the mouse - that's never happened before), which forced me to call the person instead and ask questions instead of just assuming that the person didn't send me what I asked for work when they were supposed to. Turns out I was wrong. And it taught me that I should always investigate situations before making assumptions.

Had an amazing time at a friend's house over Labor Day weekend. They have opened their home up to so many people over the years. It's a place where you can just walk in the door without knocking and then be taken care of with the most exquisite meals and spoiled by movies in their backyard movie theater. I was sitting in church on Sunday and was completely and profoundly overcome not once, but twice, by their generosity in making me and so many others a part of their family. I admit it. I cried. That's just how gratitude do sometimes, yo.

Had to change my fall vacation plans twice. After Ireland was postponed to May, I settled on New England, specifically Vermont, and ker-PLOOEY. Hurricane hits Vermont. Then I was going to meet my best friend somewhere. Shazaam! She probably now has to do a training out of town for work. Someone doesn't want me to plan a vacation. But I'm game for a spontaneous adventure. Who knows where I'll end up?

No comments: