Monday, September 26, 2011

Ugly Things

If you walk on this earth, chances are that, as delightful of a person you may be, there are things about you that you will struggle with. Things that you are unaware of. Ugly things. Me, I've been in a season of acceptance. But today I saw something I didn't like. I'm a bit of a know-it-all. An independent. Even when I was a child I didn't like being told how to do something if I already knew how to do it.

I can be a little closed off and subtlely off-putting. I can be a little critical. A little intolerant. A little judgmental. A bit protective. Mostly internally. Not overtly offensively, but enough to keep me a little bit aside in a crowd, not part of the group.

Well, crap. I think I've been doing this for a mighty long piece. And I don't know how to get off the train.

Did that even make any sense? I'm not quite certain what I'm feeling, but I'm a little out of sorts.

In other news, L. and I started a documentary club. I had been wanting to start one for a while, but let's face it. No one wants to come to my place and watch movies on a TV the size of an iPad. But L. offered up her apartment until I finally cave and get a TV that not every man who crosses my threshhold will make fun of.

So last night about eight of us gathered together for pizza and a viewing of
Wasteland, an award-winning doc about a Brazilian artist who brings an art project to the largest landfill in Brazil, working with the catadores (pickers of recycling materials). Tears were shed. Ideas were discussed. It was a truly groovy night. My favorite thing the artist, who grew up in poverty, said was that he would rather have nothing and want everything then have everything and want nothing. He's been on both ends of the spectrum and explained that as long as you're in want, then there's still room to dream...............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never fear. You can get off the train if you want to.