Oh my gosh. I actually leave on vacation tomorrow with nary a spreadsheet in sight. That's right. I only have a vague idea of a few of the things I may be doing. I have no guidebook. No list of activities I am determined to accomplish. How unlike me. Let the adventure begin, I say!
Yesterday the State Department arranged for a group of seven Canadians working in social service agencies to visit me at my job and learn about my organization, just like the Iraqis a few months back. They were lovely, asked some great questions, and were truly interested in learning about our method of crime prevention. The most exciting part? The young buck of the group who went into a rant about Hollywood movies showing little consequence for bad behavior and the problem of media affecting young people. I agreed with him, but he went on and on and escalated to a point of telling me that our police officers needed to tell Hollywood to stop it. Seriously! I was like "Mohammed. Are you kidding? Do you think a film executive making money hand over fist is going to stop making the movies he wants to because a police officer says stop it?" As if law enforcement has any authority in the movie industry. I could see his colleagues exchange glances and in those glances I read that they were all pretty well sick and tired of these rants. One older lady was great about bringing him back to the topic at hand. But not before he accused our movies of vilifying his fellow Muslims in film. Poor guy just wanted a soap box. Wrong setting, Dude. I did tell him "Be encouraged. There are people in Hollywood who view it as a mission field. Who are determined to make films that show consequences to evil. Movies that give hope and show redemption." I don't think he was looking for encouragement, though. He really just wanted an audience.
My only regret is that I didn't have more time to talk with the cute fella from Montreal. Hello! Adorable with his curls, French accent, and slight eye rolls focused in Mohammed's direction.
No matter. I'm headed to the land of cowboys. Hold on to your Wranglers.....
Yesterday the State Department arranged for a group of seven Canadians working in social service agencies to visit me at my job and learn about my organization, just like the Iraqis a few months back. They were lovely, asked some great questions, and were truly interested in learning about our method of crime prevention. The most exciting part? The young buck of the group who went into a rant about Hollywood movies showing little consequence for bad behavior and the problem of media affecting young people. I agreed with him, but he went on and on and escalated to a point of telling me that our police officers needed to tell Hollywood to stop it. Seriously! I was like "Mohammed. Are you kidding? Do you think a film executive making money hand over fist is going to stop making the movies he wants to because a police officer says stop it?" As if law enforcement has any authority in the movie industry. I could see his colleagues exchange glances and in those glances I read that they were all pretty well sick and tired of these rants. One older lady was great about bringing him back to the topic at hand. But not before he accused our movies of vilifying his fellow Muslims in film. Poor guy just wanted a soap box. Wrong setting, Dude. I did tell him "Be encouraged. There are people in Hollywood who view it as a mission field. Who are determined to make films that show consequences to evil. Movies that give hope and show redemption." I don't think he was looking for encouragement, though. He really just wanted an audience.
My only regret is that I didn't have more time to talk with the cute fella from Montreal. Hello! Adorable with his curls, French accent, and slight eye rolls focused in Mohammed's direction.
No matter. I'm headed to the land of cowboys. Hold on to your Wranglers.....

No comments:
Post a Comment