The last time I set foot in Mexico was 21 years ago on a weekend trip to build houses. 11 years before that my mom and stepfather were married in Ensenada. That was the extent of my Mexican adventures, until last weekend. A friend of mine is working on a movie down there and was kind enough to let me come for a visit, so I drove two and a half hours to the border, parked my car, and walked into a different country. It amazes me that anyone can just walk right into Mexico. No one is there to look at your passport, ask you what you're doing in the country, etc. It's a free-for-all. Welcome to Mexico, Y'all!
What an odd feeling to literally walk from California into another country! For Europeans, that's no big deal I suppose. But in America, even though we're connected to Canada and Mexico, it somehow feels like it's just us over here in North America. We're that self-focused.
With the reports of more kidnappings and drug crime, I was a little nervous because I didn't know what to expect. I donned my "If you even think of taking advantage of me I will kick you where it counts" face and strode confidently across la frontera and into a waiting taxi, which whisked me away to Rosarito Beach. No problem whatsoever.
Mexico isn't big on the infrastructure. Potholes everywhere, no building codes, crumbling retaining walls. All this and more! But it's always fun experiencing a different place and culture. I spent all of Saturday at the studio watching them film. The people were lovely and welcoming (kisses for everyone!) and it was neat to see my friend do her job so excellently and also to watch an Academy Award nominee at work. Nope. I can't tell you who it was or what movie it is or show you my photos, but talk to me next year.
That night we went to a Halloween party and the next day joined some of the cast and crew at Mexico's largest winery for a goodbye party for two of the actors. Wine tasting and then lunch on a private terrace overlooking the vineyard. Lovely.
I won't lie to you. I was happy to cross back in to San Diego unscathed and grateful that I wasn't born in Mexico. Although I would like to see Mexico City and some other famous spots someday. And it is really silly that I waited this long to visit the part of Mexico that's so very close by. I just assumed Tijuana was the place that crazy kids go to party and buy cheap Mexican souvenirs. Really, it's a city of 4 million that apparently has a burgeoning art and music scene and warrants some exploration. I really should go back. Si. Un dia.....
What an odd feeling to literally walk from California into another country! For Europeans, that's no big deal I suppose. But in America, even though we're connected to Canada and Mexico, it somehow feels like it's just us over here in North America. We're that self-focused.
With the reports of more kidnappings and drug crime, I was a little nervous because I didn't know what to expect. I donned my "If you even think of taking advantage of me I will kick you where it counts" face and strode confidently across la frontera and into a waiting taxi, which whisked me away to Rosarito Beach. No problem whatsoever.
Mexico isn't big on the infrastructure. Potholes everywhere, no building codes, crumbling retaining walls. All this and more! But it's always fun experiencing a different place and culture. I spent all of Saturday at the studio watching them film. The people were lovely and welcoming (kisses for everyone!) and it was neat to see my friend do her job so excellently and also to watch an Academy Award nominee at work. Nope. I can't tell you who it was or what movie it is or show you my photos, but talk to me next year.
That night we went to a Halloween party and the next day joined some of the cast and crew at Mexico's largest winery for a goodbye party for two of the actors. Wine tasting and then lunch on a private terrace overlooking the vineyard. Lovely.
I won't lie to you. I was happy to cross back in to San Diego unscathed and grateful that I wasn't born in Mexico. Although I would like to see Mexico City and some other famous spots someday. And it is really silly that I waited this long to visit the part of Mexico that's so very close by. I just assumed Tijuana was the place that crazy kids go to party and buy cheap Mexican souvenirs. Really, it's a city of 4 million that apparently has a burgeoning art and music scene and warrants some exploration. I really should go back. Si. Un dia.....

1 comment:
Heehee: "Jesus on my mind"
Post a Comment