Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Terms

Does anyone know what the heck morning news show newscasters mean by their self-coined phrases like "Traffic on the 4's", "Traffic on the 7's" and the like? Why does channel 4 refer to all of the freeways as "the 4's"? Some of them don't even have the number 4 in them. Are they taking verbal ownership of the freeways? Whassup here? And can someone explain to me why it annoys me so much? Sheesh! I don't like any newscaster lingo. "There's an overturned big rig on the 110 South." "Funnyman Robin Williams has tied the knot yet again." Funnyman, schmunnyman.

Speaking of terms, I've been toying around with the idea that my term of blogging may be slowly petering out. I'm no longer contemplating phrases in my head that I want to put down and I think my entries are a little lazy and skimming the surface. So after four years, maybe this is where the road ends. I will let you know. If there are any of you out there still....

Pip the Mighty Squeak

2 comments:

schu said...

GASP.
what were you asking?
i was busy gasping.
wah but i enjoy reading your words. wah.

Mary said...

I think the numbers refer to the time the report is given, maybe? Like, they tell you the traffic at four minutes, 14 minutes, 24 minutes after the hour, etc.

I know what you mean about blogging...our mutual friend once said, "I read my friends' blogs to keep up with their lives since we are all so busy." Sadly, I find that is often how I find out how you are feeling, what you are doing, etc.

I love your writing. Talk to you soon, and not just on a "Leave your comment" page. :)