Monday, December 15, 2008

Rainy Days

It's been raining for a couple of days now and it's supposed to continue for most of the week. It's pretty nippy for Southern California and I think I may be getting sick. It makes me want to hole up with my favorite cozy blanket, read, sleep, and eat yummy soup. But I have tons of work to do this week and getting sick and cozying up at home are not an option. So sad.

Tonight Joanna and I had dinner at Fred 62 (the LA LA Salad is tasty) and then went to see a delightful, sweet show at the Steve Allen Theatre called "Playin' with Micucci." Kate Micucci is an adorable slip of a young woman who writes cute, funny, and sometimes touching songs for the ukulele, guitar, piano, and even a big drum. She intersperses stories and other bits and pieces with the songs and spending an evening with her was like watching a neighbor put on a delightful show in someone's barn. It's a little reminiscent of the old Pee Wee's Playhouse show, but without the nasally, silly voice and creepy bow tie. Kate is smart and seemingly sans guile. I ran into her before the show in the ladies room, where she went to change into her costume. She was exactly the same person there as she was onstage. She saw me at the sink and said, "Hi! Thank you for coming to the show." So I said, "Well thank you for putting on the show!" Then she told me she had just bought her costume that day at K-Mart. In the girls' department. Now we have something else in common in addition to making up silly ukulele songs. But she's definitely a musician and she's got such an engaging style and personality. I've got some serious work to do if I ever want to be part of a ukulele comedy duo. If I'm half as good as Ms. Micucci, I'll be satisfied.

No comments: