Thursday, April 9, 2009

Smile

I know this has to be something that has happened to some of us. Or maybe just most women. You're walking down the street minding your own business when a complete stranger tells you to smile. "Smile! It's not so bad." I can't quite explain the jumble of thoughts and feelings that run through my head when this happens, but I can tell you that I mostly feel pretty irked. How do you know that I didn't just get some terrible news from my doctor? Or a friend died? Or someone strangled my pet squirrel? Maybe I just happen to relax my face muscles when I walk instead of keeping a fake smile plastered on it at all times (which seems impossible anyway - can you imagine how sore your face would be? Not to mention the wrinkles.) Look, if you want me to smile, then stop commanding it with mere words. DO something that would make me smile. Compliment my spiffy shirt. Offer to hand wash my car. Or better yet, just give me your wallet. These are all actions that might earn you that smile. I try not to make this a forum for pet peeves for the most part, but sometimes Mama gots to speak out. I feel like the Incredible Hulk when someone who doesn't know me tells me to smile. My head throbs and I want to start busting through fences.

Tomorrow is my godson Matthew's second birthday. He loves airplanes, speaks French, and has a mass of wonderfully crazy hair. We danced together on Skype tonight and he said a lot of his new words for me. Such a sweet, sweet boy:) I'm so sad to live so far away from him, but with Skype I at least have a Jetsons-like presence in his life. I was thrilled to get the chance to spend a good amount of time with him in October, but I so wish I could be there for the birthdays and to see all his firsts. For now I guess I have to settle for being the silly lady who lives inside the computer.....

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

"Smile" has long been my pet peeve too, sister! Probably the fastest way for a complete stranger to get me from zero to nearly murderous.

Your godson is adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Give us your wallet! LOL!
PV