Sunday, May 17, 2009

Oh Fiddle Faddle

I just got home from the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Festival at Paramount Ranch. It was nice to hang out with friends on a blanket in the grass and listen to fiddlers and other musicians. The contest itself wasn't all that exciting, but it was fun to wander around and see groups of strangers just jamming all over the place with their instruments. I particularly liked a group that had gathered under a big tree, the light enveloping them like a giant halo. It was hotter than heck out there, though. I still stink something awful, I'm afraid. Now I know what you're thinking. Oh, no Staci, you could never stink like that.You always smell like a field of fresh daisies. But no, I tell you. Stick me in 90-plus weather in a long-sleeve shirt and jeans for three hours and just see if I don't smell like a German teenager who's just had a nice long run.

I totally missed church this morning. I didn't mean to, but I met an old friend for breakfast at 8:30am and when I finally got around to checking the time, it was well past 1pm! I hadn't seen him in 19 years, so there was a lot of catching up to do. He directed the first short film I ever did, which I had a fantastic time on. He's one of those people who has a knack for cutting through pretense and small talk and can slip right into deep, real conversation in a way that is very natural and comfortable. It was really refreshing and lovely.

Saturday I had to work, interviewing PAL kids for college scholarships. It really was a fascinating process and I enjoyed talking to them and listening to their dreams for their futures. One sweet girl broke my heart when she started crying in the middle of the interview. She's the oldest of six kids and the family lives in a small, two-bedroom apartment. She shares a room with her five younger siblings, ranging in age from 2-15. Her parents both work menial jobs and because of finances, have to rely on her to clean and babysit frequently. All of this came out when we asked her why her grades had dropped at school. She said her mom tries to get all of the babies down to sleep by 9pm so she has an hour to study and then she barely gets 6 hours sleep a night, if she's lucky. She wanted to get a job to help the family, but her mother insisted that she get an education and pursue her desire to become a nurse. It took everything in me not to start crying along with her and blurt out "Where's my check book? That's it! I'm sending you to college myself!!!" I'm thrilled that we'll be able to make a real difference in helping her and a few others reach their goals.....

1 comment:

mendacious said...

that sounds a lovely and affirming weekend.

and i did enjoy picturing you as a sweaty german teenager.