I am a HUGE Little House on the Prairie fan. I was very taken with the show growing up and pretty much never missed a Monday night (except that one Monday in the 70's at my great-grandmother's house when both of my older brothers out-voted me and got to watch the Jackson 5 on the only available tv.) I watched it even when it inevitably jumped the shark by introducing all sorts of orphans into the Ingalls household, as well as the brutally bad final season where Albert becomes a little drug addict on the prairie. All that to say that tonight I was in a room with Alison Arngrim, the incomparably nasty Nellie Oleson. My friend Kelly was in a movie with her and I went to the screening tonight and watched Kelly and Nellie go head to head up onscreen as dueling neighbors. It would have been even better if I had gotten to sit next to Kelly, but unfortunately, I was in the front row sitting next to a very unfriendly, but extremely physically demonstrative French lesbian couple. Seriously, people - gay or straight, I don't want you getting it on inches away from me. Decorum. Get some.
It's 11:30pm and I'm up because it's only 4:30pm Australia time and I've got me some serious jetlag. So let me take a moment to say that I keep rubbing the left side of my face in hopes that the wrinkles by the corner of my mouth will somehow disappear. Is this crazy or what? I know they are from lots of smiling and I should be happy I've had much to smile about in my life, but I am none too thrilled about them deciding to stay on my face. I am trying to talk myself into acceptance, but it's hard, especially as woman who is hoping to fall in love before all the pretty is gone. Shallow, yes, but men are admittedly drawn to the physical. They get wrinkles, they look distinguished. And young women will date them anyway. Women start to age, and well, it's usually a different story. And we become ashamed! I've heard the way older women talk about themselves. How they feel when they no longer make heads turn and look their way. How it feels to be overlooked. Although, I was talking to a 50-year-old friend of mine at a baby shower recently and I looked at her face and realized I never noticed her wrinkles at all. She's just a groovy woman and I like her. She seems comfortable in her skin and she often throws back her head and laughs a deep, unself-conscious laugh, lighting up the room around her. So why should I think those around me will react any differently to me as I get older?
The playwright who wrote the trilogy of shows I did just sent me a signed copy of the newly published Gulf View Drive. My name is in it because I originated the role and I have to admit I was kind of looking forward to that little piece of immortality. Something that said, "I was an actress. I did some stuff." When I opened the cover with an air of anticipation, I looked down to see: May............................Stacie Michelle Armao. Yep. They spelled my name wrong. I had to laugh. No worries. I forgot about it after eating one of my favorite cookies.


2 comments:
the pretty never goes away! NEVER!
and funny also because i just tuned into the last 10min of LHP and it was where they were blowing up the town of walnut grove and then there was this weird shot of bunnies taking over the ingills house and i was like what the hizelle!
i remember the episode! the struggle to overcome morphines powerful pull! deadwood schmedwood, the prairie had hbo dramas before hbo!
actually. omgooooosh thats where we got it. my friend and i played 'little house on the prairie' as girls are want to do, and towards our older years, there were some crazy drama role playings. oh, my.
Post a Comment