A few months ago I read a fascinating memoir, My Lobotomy, about a man who endured a lobotomy as a child because of the perfect storm of a cruel stepmother and the doctor who contributed to the rise of lobotomies being performed in the 60's. On Thursday morning, a man plopped himself down next to me at a community event for non-profits and started to ask me questions. He turned out to be an LA Times reporter and I recognized his name. It wasn't until I got home and looked him up that I discovered he was the reporter who wrote the book with the man who had received the lobotomy. I immediately sent off an email to him to tell him how I hadn't been able to put the book down. He just sent a message back saying thanking me and wondering if he could ask me some more questions for his article. Hell's yes! Now I can ask him more about the book! I get more excited about meeting authors than I do meeting out and out celebrities. I likes me some writers. Always have. There's just something special about people who can weave a story. It takes my breath away.
My mom took me to see Cirque du Soleil's KOOZA in Irvine on Friday as a birthday gift and I was blown away. I think my favorite part was the Wheel of Death. Unbelievable! They take everything and explore it to its furthermost reaches. They don't just have a guy on a unicycle. They have a guy on a unicyle with a woman in his arms whom he freakin' twirls all about his head and shoulders while he rides the unicycle. I also love the teeterboard, a giant seesaw that you stand on the end of while two brawny guys jump on the other end and send you flying straight up into the air, where you do flips, twists and all sorts of fancy moves. I've done it, back in the trapeze days, and I have to tell you that it is incredibly exciting and the closest feeling to flying that I've ever had.
Afterwards we met all of my brothers at a Chinese restaurant, which was really nice. One of the owners came over to the table with a pile of orange slices and fortune cookies and a candle in the middle for me to blow out. She also handed me a a small box with what she said was a big surprise. For some reason, I imagined there was a human finger in the box,so I squealed a little when I opened it. It turned out to be a little ceramic pig on a colorful ribbon, since I was born in the year of the pig. "You very lucky. Pig is good for women." My brother answered, "Oh. I thought you were just making a commentary on how much my sister ate." I love having brothers.
Yesterday I got my annual birthday massage and this year sprung for 90 minutes of heaven. I almost always request a male masseur, but this year decided to shake it up and went for a lady. Carmen was strong and no-nonsense, so much so that I kept my mouth shut when sentences like "Don't rub me the wrong way" or "Stop pressuring me!" popped into my mind during the massage. I somehow think the jokes would have non-plussed her, or worse, would have earned me a painful jab in the ribs or a deliberate torturous venture into my ticklish regions. Anyway, she did a good job, but I think I've got some bruises. It was followed up with a delicious lunch at Sushi Katsu-ya with K.Fo and K.Lo, and then sundaes and games at home with a few friends, courtesy of Marianne. All in all a gentle way to usher in the next age of which I will not speak...


My mom took me to see Cirque du Soleil's KOOZA in Irvine on Friday as a birthday gift and I was blown away. I think my favorite part was the Wheel of Death. Unbelievable! They take everything and explore it to its furthermost reaches. They don't just have a guy on a unicycle. They have a guy on a unicyle with a woman in his arms whom he freakin' twirls all about his head and shoulders while he rides the unicycle. I also love the teeterboard, a giant seesaw that you stand on the end of while two brawny guys jump on the other end and send you flying straight up into the air, where you do flips, twists and all sorts of fancy moves. I've done it, back in the trapeze days, and I have to tell you that it is incredibly exciting and the closest feeling to flying that I've ever had.

1 comment:
happy birthday! whatever your mysterious age.
Post a Comment