Thursday, January 14, 2010

Riverdance, Avatar, and Bowl with a Star

The Pantages donated a bunch of theater tickets to PAL, so I got to see Riverdance last night on the house. I've had the soundtrack for years and love the drumming and the sound of the slap of Irish dancing shoes on the marley. It really was pretty cool. From a distance the drummer looked like my brother. I found myself imagining it actually was him, crushing the hurt and anger with his sticks, pounding the mylar surface of the drum as if he was beating the head of betrayal and injustice into submission. It made me smile. I also decided I would like to make a spoof called Liverdance. I don't know what it would entail, but I'm willing to think it out.

Saw Avatar at the free theater (free for SAG members) in NoHo Tuesday night. I only fell asleep briefly at the end. I pat my own shoulder. You know, there's a lot to admire there with the technical prowess of James Cameron and aesthetically, it was pretty amazing to watch. Where his films always fall short for me are in the heart. I have to say while I was fascinated with the sinking of The Titanic, I never attached to the love story or really cared that much about the main characters in that film. With Avatar, I felt slightly more, but not what I would hope. I think I just have to accept that I'm not a blockbuster kind of gal. Give me an independent, character-driven story any day. But certainly, it's a technical triumph and interesting enough to get out to the theater to take a gander. Very imaginative.

If anyone out there is interested, we're doing a Bowling with the Stars fundraiser for Hollywood PAL on Feb. 1. For tickets,visit:

http://www.wantickets.com/Events/98824/Bowling-with-the-Stars.aspx

And if you have any more celebrities you can help us add to our roster of celebrity bowlers, bring it on!

No comments: