Saturday, June 19, 2010

Local Adventure

There are, embarrassingly, a ton of places I have never explored in my own backyard. I've seriously never even been to Redondo Beach. Come on! Last week I took my dad and stepmom to see its close neighbor, Palos Verdes. I had never stepped foot there and it's pretty lovely. It's a good time of year - the jacaranda trees are spilling their wares and the bougainvillea are thick and vibrant. Spring brought a lot of rain, which really greened this desert up, and being along the coast seriously cut back on the smog, so it was, simply put, gorgeous. We drove around the peninsula on Palos Verdes Drive and stopped periodically at places of interest: Malaga Cove, the lighthouse and interpretive center, and my favorite, The Wayfarer's Chapel. The Chapel is an outdoor glass church perched on the hills overlooking the ocean with a blanket of trees all around. It was designed by Lloyd Wright, Frankl Lloyd Wright's son, and I first heard about it last year when my friend's sister got married there. It was the highlight of the day.

A fountain at Malaga Cove. Who says rich people are classier?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great place to take guests!
(Love the last pic. Hilarious!)
-PV

What you Don't Expect When You're Expecting said...

That's what you feel like everytime a baby cries the first month after giving birth....

Staci said...

Awesome, Deb:)