On The Office last night Jim and Pam had their baby christened. Toby, the office 's Eeyore-like HR dude and Michael's most hated nemesis, tried to get up the courage to even enter the church in the first place, mentioning it's been a while since he'd even set foot in a church. "Me and the Big Guy gotta catch up." Finally, near the end of the show he walks into the empty sanctuary, up to the pulpit, and looks heavenward, lightly throwing up his hands in defeat."Why do you gotta always be so mean to me?"
And that was it. In one simple, pared down, to-the-point sentence, he summed up one of the most troubling questions for people when it comes to faith. Suffering. Why do we suffer so?
I was floored by the smart, subtle way they threw that in. On a sitcom, people.
On funnier note, my mom has been volunteering at a hospice care facility (that's not the funny part). One day she went to visit an old lady and she sat on the edge of her bed. And promptly fell asleep. Yes! She ended up lying next to the dying lady, sharing her pillow! Man, I wish I had seen that. That's right up there with the time she set her boob on fire. Or dumped an entire silver service and rolling tray into the ocean on a catering gig. My mom is awesome and delightfully funny.
I'm just waiting for the next story. Mamacita, keep 'em comin'.....

1 comment:
Your mama is tops! -P
Post a Comment