Friday, September 26, 2008

Back to the 20's


I am exhausted. We had our big fundraiser tonight for our non-profit and it was a 1920’s speakeasy theme. My two program police officers and I were decked out in flapper regalia and after running around in heels for 7 hours, my feet need a vacation (or at least a little bit of sweet love, if there are any massage therapists out there dying to do some pro bono work).

We did extraordinarily well, especially considering the state of the economy. One of our live auction items was the sweetest, most mellow little puppy, which didn’t hurt. I had visions of taking him home myself, but then I remembered that a) Our landlord would have a heart attack b) I don’t have the time or the inclination to own a dog and c) $5000 to bid on a puppy? Mama isn’t rolling in that kind of dough (and by Mama, I do indeed mean to refer to myself in the third person).

I can’t help but say the two things that unsettled me about the night. I lie. One I won’t say. The other, well let’s just say I was thankful that the officers and I decided not to have some of our kids sell raffle tickets this year and attend the dinner. Hello! There were some Drunky McDrunksters lurking about (one who had to speak onstage during the program). At one point I thought there was a leak in the roof, but no, it was a guy swinging around his cocktail glass because he couldn’t hold it upright. Yowza! This is a fundraiser for a youth program. How ‘bouts a little restraint? But I guess I’ve never seen the draw of overdrinking. I mean, don’t you just spend a whole lot of money, walk around all crooked-like, then wake up feeling crappy? Of course, I’ve had the same result after eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Americone Dream Ice Cream, so who am I to speak of excess?

Anyway, I am grateful to everyone who contributed to a successful evening, which will allow us to continue our programs for another year. And will keep me in a job, which is a good thing to have during times like these. Marianne’s bank was seized by the government tonight. Things are tough all over. The weight of it feels like a thick, heavy, wet blanket. A good time not to put your hope in people or circumstances…


1 comment:

Lori said...

Looks like a lot of fun. And that Americone Dream is one of my favorites.