Sunday, September 7, 2008

Man on Wire

I just saw the documentary "Man on Wire" about the French high wire walker who hatched a plan in the early 70's to secretly rig a cable between the twin towers in New York and walk across it. From the moment he saw a magazine ad announcing the construction of the World Trade Center, he was singularly focused on his goal. In some ways I'm envious of that. He had a passion and never wavered in his pursuit. What he did was extraordinary and beautiful - people looking up between the towers that day saw 45 minutes of something akin to a sky dance. He was so fluid and serene. And although the filmmakers didn't focus on it, he sacrificed two friendships to accomplish his goal. It begs the question was it worth it? I don't know - it may well have been. I guess only he can answer that. I can't help but admire his diligence and artistry, though. It's worth seeing.

Speaking of the WTC, there have been all sorts of documentaries running on cable this week as we near the 7th anniversary of September 11th. I had lunch yesterday with a friend and she was telling me that she was in Times Square on 9/11 and saw the plane as it hit the second tower. I can't even fathom witnessing that image live. Just watching it over and over on television jacked me up right good. I've been afraid of flying ever since. Not because I think that something similar will happen to me, but because all of the sudden airplanes began to look malevolent to me, like weapons. I think my fear is waning. I've finally stopped grabbing strangers legs or arms during moments of turbulence (although I've made a lot of friends that way.) I think I am finally accepting that it's not a situation I can control and it's of no value to suffer every time the plane dips or makes a noise I've decided that I don't like. One time a sweet, Swiss orthopedic surgeon from Denver held my hand during a particularly bumpy landing. I was delighted. I have a standing invitation to go and shadow him in the ER if I ever make it to Colorado. There are benefits to being a woman:) If I had been a man sweating it out on that flight those around me would likely have thought "Suck it up, Sissy." Ain't it nice to be a girl?

No comments: