Thursday, November 6, 2008

Reunions

I just got back from a four-day conference in Lake Tahoe for my job. Imagine me and about 150 cops. Let's just say I didn't quite fit in. Mama ain't interested in going out until 3am each night and getting oogled and propositioned by men with cuffs and guns. In all fairness, let me just say there were some delightful officers there as well. But cops work hard and play hard and I didn't know quite how hard until spending four days with them. Enough said.

During my adventures in VA, I met up with my 5th grade best friend in DC. Through the magic of Facebook, we connected after 20 years and had lunch. She is a really lovely woman and it was wonderful to catch up. It's funny, but being at my college reunion a few days before that made me feel like I was stepping into the first ten minutes of the movie Peggy Sue Got Married, where all the actors start off with aging makeup to portray middle-aged people at their high school reunion. I mean, I couldn't believe I was really old enough to be in a room with these adults with children and jobs and wrinkles and baldness. Part of me half expected to wake up and be young again. How did it all zoom by so quickly? I met a couple at the reunion who were both in the military and had served two terms each in Iraq. It was fascinating to get an insider's scoop of the situation over there. Both felt it was time to pull out. And maybe that will happen in the new year, who knows?

That's it for now. I'm tired, hungry, and The Office will be on soon...

No comments: