Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful Thursday: Thanksgiving Edition

As I sit here rubbing my eyes and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade (heck, yes, I'm watching it! Harry Connick Jr. is going to sing. And James Taylor!), I am reminded of scores of things that make me thankful:

1. My family. They love me, support me, and accept who I am (either that or they're really good actors). I am thankful also for the gift my dad gave me of a college education (The College of William and Mary rocks!) and that he is proud of me. I am thankful for a mother who is also my friend, who has always encouraged me to seek adventure and pursue the things that bring me joy. When I was an exchange student in Australia as a teenager, she received a call after my first two weeks there that I wanted to stay a full year instead of the six months I had signed up for. As much as I'm sure it pained her to face the reality of not seeing her child for a year, she whole-heartedly agreed with my decision and rejoiced in all of the extraordinary experiences I had because of it. Which brings me to another thing for which I'm thankful: my Australian family. Two awesome families in one lifetime? How lucky am I? Growing up with three brothers, it was fantastic to acquire two little sisters (I love you, Lis and Bel!), along with a superb mum and dad.Their generosity in sharing a year of their lives with me is something that has always stayed with me and I am thankful that our relationship continues.


2. My female friends. Women know what women need and as women, we have such liberties in our friendships. They are intimate and fulfilling and I know if catastrophe were ever to strike, I would have more quality women at my side than I deserve. To name just a few of you (in no particular order): Amy, Marianne, Mary, Jane, Melody, Joanna, Lori, Rita, Naomi, the other Lori, Kirsten, Karen, Mary G., Pamela, Elkeer, Edita, Treva, Robin, Christi...you make my life richer.

3. My lifestyle. I'm grateful for my freedoms and the opportunities I have, due in no small part to where I happen to have been born. I'm grateful that I have plenty to eat, a warm place to sleep, and everything I need, as well as the luxury to able to express myself creatively. And I'm healthy, which I don't take for granted after coming back from feeling pretty crappy a few years ago.

4. Ecclesia. I'm thankful for worship that is stirring and genuine, a loving community that serves, and strong teaching. It's the first time I have gotten truly involved in a church community instead of sitting in the back and slipping out before I got stopped by anyone.


5. Travel. I am so thankful for the adventures I' ve had: Australia, Scotland, the Netherlands, Germany, Italy,
the Czech Republic, Poland, India, etc., etc., etc. From my first international trip, I've had the bug and my eyes have been open to so much. I can't imagine my life without it. I look forward to any future trips I might have!


6. God. Seriously, I don't know where else I'd be able to derive hope in a world that has so many challenges and tedious things to navigate through. Otherwise, I'd have to put my hope in people and people are fallible and we all know how that would turn out. I was driving yesterday and saw one of those Obama stickers on the back of someone's car with the word "Hope" underneath his picture. There was something about it that bothered me because it seemed almost Christ-like in its rendering. Now, I voted for Obama and I truly hope that he succeeds at his job of helping lead our country out of these difficult times, but to put our hope in one man, a human man at that, would be foolish. I wish him all the best, will be praying for him, but I am thankful that I know a better home for my hope.

7. You. You know who you are. Believe it and receive it, said the gypsy.


What are all of you thankful for? I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: