Saturday, January 17, 2009

Speedy McFaster

My oldest brother called me today. Whenever I see one of my brothers' three names pop up on my caller ID, I automatically think there's either been an accident or a death. Because why else would one of them be calling me? Fortunately, it was neither. He called to tell me that he thinks I look EXACTLY like the girl in a horror movie he just saw. Maybe it was just a cover because he was thinking about me and wanted to check in. He also said a couple of nice things about me that made me think he was proud of me as his sister. Pretty awesome. We've come a long way.

The big news this week is that I CAN SEE! I went to the eye doctor for my first appointment in 13 years. I had no idea the astigmatism had gotten worse. My vision isn't terrible, but it's just so much clearer with my groovy new glasses. I've been looking to change things up a bit and a new look will do. Methinks I likee.

I spent the morning scouting for a new ukulele. I had fully expected to come home with an upgrade, but apparently the brand I'm looking for is in high demand and the stores have a hard time keeping them in stock. McCabe's Guitar Shop had three KoAloha ukes and I put one on hold, but something is telling me to be patient and really explore all of the shops before making a decision. I'm going to San Diego next weekend and there's a store on the way that's supposed to have a good selection, so I'm trying to be patient until then. In the first store we stopped in I met an older guy who wanted to jam with me. I told him my finger was broken, but then he showed me his hand that had nerve damage and he could only fret with two fingers, so I had no excuse. And he played beautifully. So I humored him and played some chords clumsily while he improvised a little. It wasn't too shabby. As we left, I saw a t-shirt that said "Me no love you long time." I confess, I kind of wanted it. It's a good shirt for advertising that you won't be putting out.

January has been full of birthdays. Criminy! March must be a good month for conception because every time I turn around, someone's having another birthday. And 1969 was a stellar year because I've had 3 friends turn 40 in the last two weeks. I went to two 40th parties today alone. One was at an indoor racetrack. Hello! Why have I never done this before??? It was so fun and little did I know what a speed demon I was. I soooooo like to floor the gas. I was also totally hopped up on pizza and cake, so that could have contributed to my need for speed. I felt really antsy when I got stuck behind some slow drivers. Driving home I had to watch myself because I had just spent a few hours careening around corners and going as fast as possible. My brain didn't quite understand I had to curb the urge in my own car. Not that my old Corolla can get to dangerously high speeds. I was tempted, though...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful in the new glasses- but you always look beautiful.