So, last night we had a benefit at The Hollywood Museum because, to put it bluntly, we is in needs of mo money to keep the PAL programs up and running. Being that one of our board members owns the museum and this groovy historic building is just yards away from the drop off point for all of the celebrities at the Oscars, it made perfect sense for us to host an Oscar Viewing Party. I was impressed and humbled at all the work that our board did to make this thing happen in a month. We had 6 large screen TV's, two bars, a buffet, a great deejay, and a phenomenal view:
To my utter delight, the photographer showed up looking like a modern day pirate (not in costume - it was just his regular dress), complete with eye patch, and he brought along an Indiana Jones look-alike (which I swear I remember nixing at a board meeting, and yet somehow the guy came anyway). He took photos of people as they walked our red carpet and they got to pose with Cary Grant's cadillac, which was cool. After entering, people rode up to the top floor in a spacious, old freight elevator. When they stepped out into the party they were given extra "bling" to add to their ensembles (beads, bracelets, rings that lit up) and were able wander all the floors of the museum, which has a fantastic collection of movie memorabilia. Hannibal Lector's jail cell from Silence of the Lambs is in the basement. Creepy.
Anyway, it was fun, I got hit on (ranging from young to old to gay) just enough to not be creeped out, I saw an old lady dirty dance with a nutty young guy covered in beads, and we made enough funds to replenish our coffers for now. An entertaining little tidbit: at one point one of the board members turned to me and said "How's your girlfriend?" He was referring to my roommate, whom he had met at some point, but one of our new board members snapped around and stared at me at that exact moment and I could see what he was thinking. Um, no, dude. I'm not a lesbian. Just an unfortunate choice of words. I am, however, nothing but trouble:

Anyway, it was fun, I got hit on (ranging from young to old to gay) just enough to not be creeped out, I saw an old lady dirty dance with a nutty young guy covered in beads, and we made enough funds to replenish our coffers for now. An entertaining little tidbit: at one point one of the board members turned to me and said "How's your girlfriend?" He was referring to my roommate, whom he had met at some point, but one of our new board members snapped around and stared at me at that exact moment and I could see what he was thinking. Um, no, dude. I'm not a lesbian. Just an unfortunate choice of words. I am, however, nothing but trouble:

No comments:
Post a Comment