Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Write Stuff

Well, I took some good advice and spent two days and three nights holed up in a hotel in Simi Valley pounding out the third draft of a screenplay. The cold and the rain made it a cozy affair and the first day I worked until 11pm, with just small meal breaks and a romp on the treadmill. I was thoroughly surprised that I could give birth to any original thought. In the day to day, the mundane musts of life often crowd out creativity, sometimes to the point where I think I've lost it forever. Being removed from my own surroundings and other things that might entice me to split my focus allowed me to dig in. Truly, I don't know if it's any good, but I actually had ideas and something to say. By 8pm on the second day my writing software stopped working, but I had gotten enough done to feel encouraged and satisfied. And might I mention that it was FANTASTIC to wear nothing but laze-around clothes and not a stitch of make-up for two days straight?

This morning I slipped downstairs for the free breakfast and met Rock and Roll Marie, the breakfast room server. I complimented her on her salt and pepper spiky haircut and she said when a lady gets old, she needs one thing about her that's still Rock and Roll. I told her her upturned collar was also very R & R. She liked that. Very friendly. I asked her to recommend some good restaurants in the area and she talked about some Thai place she frequents where she, and I quote, "is usually the only round-eye there." It's the quote of the week.

After being locked up for so many hours, I had to be around people, so I went and saw "He's Just Not That Into You." Sorry I did. I was Just Not That Into It. Too many storylines, didn't care about anybody, and it left me depressed by the state of human relationships. However, it did make me feel that maybe my own romantic comedy had at least the tiny bit of potential of getting made someday...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I am so jealous- would give anything for a weekend writing getaway! For now I am living vicariously through you!