Sunday, February 15, 2009

V-Day

Moms are awesome. At least mine is. Yesterday we had a family gathering with some cousins, a great aunt and all of my brothers and it being Valentine's Day, she had decked the table all out with red and flowers and hearts. Oh, my! She also made little treat bags for everyone who came, adults included. My great aunt's eyes lit up when she dug in her bag and come up with some Dove chocolate. Now, my mom is a big believer that adults should get toys sometimes, so she included little glider airplanes in mine and my brothers' bags that you could launch with a rubberband. Within 60 seconds all of our planes were on the roof. Justin got them down and we played for another 15 minutes until we all eventually broke our planes. It was fun while it lasted.

While we were outside, my oldest brother showed me his wickedly jacked up index finger. The last time we were in my mom's backyard, on Thanksgiving, we were tossing around a football. Well, both of us broke our left index finger when were catching throws from Josh. Neither one of us has healed completely and it's been nearly three months! David still can't straighten his and he has to go to the doctor and have him re-break it. Needless to say, he's in no rush to do that. Mine at least is straight, but it still swells up daily so I have a fat, sausage-y finger.

Anyway, it ended up being a pretty nice day, for Valentine's Day. To be honest, I don't have many Valentine's Days that stick out in my mind. Not that I haven't done something special on any of them, but I can only remember a tiny handful. I think the very first one I ever celebrated with my first boyfriend we had a picnic at a park with heart-shaped sandwiches and cookies. I mostly recall kissing for hours on that blanket, my one and only major occurrence of PDA. He also made me a giant card with a Phantom of the Opera cut-out on it and a real rose glued on because he had bought tickets to see the show. Very sweet. My best Valentine's Day was actually one year in my late 20's when I wasn't dating anyone and my roommate at the time and I spent the whole day in Ojai at a spa. I got a pedicure, my first facial, and an extraordinary massage from a bare-chested, barefooted, free spirit named Phoenix. I still count it as one of my single best massage experiences. We had the best lunch ever at a place called Suzanne's, then explored the town and a groovy used bookstore. It really was a knock-out day. Of course, now that I think of it, nothing can beat the days of making your own Valentine's Day box and writing valentines cards to give out at school. I loved going around a stuffing everybody's box with a card and going through my own full box when I got home. And God bless room mothers and their cupcakes on such occasions! When I was little, my mom always had a box of candy or something festive sitting in our cereal bowls when we woke up in the morning. She always knew how to make us feel special. Still does. Like I said before, moms are awesome.

Here's a new uke song, for your listening pleasure:. Peace out.

1 comment:

Lori said...

I love that your mom still gives you toys. What a cool lady. Hope your finger gets better.