Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hollywood

When we first moved to California when I was about 10, I had a little Mickey Mouse autograph book. I look back at it now and see all these doodles of the Hollywood sign in the margins. I remember every time we drove up to the Hollywood area, I was so thrilled at seeing that sign. And as a new CA resident, I was ready to take my place there, possibly as a long-lost Ingalls relative on Little House on the Prairie or as the adopted 9th child on Eight is Enough. It's so odd how there are certain desires in your heart at such a young age and then, years later you find yourself where you imagined. I am in Hollywood nearly every day. I work and go to the church in the shadow of the Hollywood sign. And though I have a good life and have enjoyed many adventures here, and Hollywood has enjoyed a major redevelopment and is much nicer than it ever was when I was small (who am I kidding? I'm still small), I find myself stoking a new fire within me. Within five years I hope to be living somewhere pretty and green again. Somewhere where there's even more of a sense of community. Somewhere less urban and slower-paced. I don't know how it will happen, but I trust that it will.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go, lady! I just hope you'll keep a nice guest room for visitors (OK, for me so I don't go batty-bonkers missing you.) -PV

Anonymous said...

The picture still looks like CA, albeit a greener area.

Love You, Dad

KillerB said...

I love that photo!