Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thankful Reflections

Yes, yes. It's that time of year when we all take inventory of the things for which we're thankful. And at the moment, I feel thankful for it all. Everything. The good and the bad. The good....well, it's good. And the bad....it's shaped me far more than the good ever could have.

I am particularly thankful for the following:

My brother says that the doctors and nurses are incredulous....but my stepdad is alive and doing well. He's talking and eating and after nearly three months in ICU, will be moving into the rehab section of the hospital for a few months to continue to recover. It's nothing short of a miracle. To those of you who prayed for him and my little brother, know that your prayers were felt.

Tonight as I was driving home I suddenly felt prompted to call my little brother. He was on his way home from the hospital and he just opened up so completely about the experience of the last few months. It was a profoundly spiritual experience for him and he came out of it knowing there's a God and that he doesn't have to shoulder the burden anymore. It was the best and most open and honest conversation we've ever had. He believes he became a man through the events of these very difficult months and his life is forever changed. He is hopeful for his future, he knows he's not alone, and he recognizes that he now has the tools to help other people through grief with understanding and compassion. He also told me how much he loves me. For all of these things, I am supremely thankful. I love you, too, Josh. Deeply, deeply. The sun shone a little bit brighter the day you entered our lives.

I am thankful, as always, for my friends and family. You are worthy companions on this journey. I am so very rich (not money rich, so don't even try to take my dough).

Sleep. I freakin' love sleep. I'm thankful that I get to do it every single night. In a warm, soothing place.

My church. Genuine people, I tell ya. I see good things brewing there. I'm glad to be a part of it all.

Ping pong. I love ping pong. I went to a ping pong club with M. (who took my mean slams very good-naturedly) that I've been wanting to check out for a while. It gets me pretty pumped.

I haven't had a cold in I don't know how long. Pretty sure it's been YEARS.

I'm going to enjoy yet another Thanksgiving a la Jim Custer, chef extraordinaire and all-around awesome guy. Thanks, Jim!

Now for you....tell me what's on your thankfulness list this season..........

3 comments:

KillerB said...

Oh Staci-- I am so happy to hear that your stepdad is doing so well, and I absolutely had to keep it together when I read about that amazing conversation you got to have with your brother.

I'm thankful for all those precious moments that choke me up! :)

Staci said...

Thanks, Beth:) Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Staci,

Glad to hear that Ellis is recovering.

Love Ya,

Dad