Saturday, January 15, 2011

Recommendations

First off, if I were to change the title of my blog, what would you suggest? I think the name of my blog is kind of clunky and a little dumb. Give me some ideas, people. Help a sister out. And speaking of sisters.....

I'm home recovering from a little bit o' sick and was able to catch up on some reading and movie-watching. A couple of recommendations for you:

Humorist Mishna Wolff scores with her memoir about growing up in a poor black neighborhood with a single father who kind of believed he was black and was intent on making sure his daughter was "down".

I loved it and am hoping for a second book that continues detailing her life from where she left off. A great re-telling of the awkward years from someone who didn't fit in.

This morning I watched City Island on netflix. Wow. I was truly astounded. It packed a punch at the end with the reminder of how truly freeing the truth can be. How our secrets can keep us imprisoned for years. To the writer/director Raymond DeFelitta - thank you. And the little gift of hope and redemption at the end, for even the most jacked up of lives, made me laugh and cry.

I wish I was a gorilla so I could give it four thumbs up. And Andy Garcia, I'd like to bestow you with some sort of made-up award, you were so sublime!


1 comment:

schu said...

ooo ok, adding it to my que!