I don't think anyone who has walked this nutty planet has ever had a finer 40th birthday celebration. There are no words sufficient enough to capture what was perhaps the most extraordinary social experience of my life. Marianne probably summed it up most accurately. "I think we saw a slice of Heaven last night, Boo."Surveying the sea of faces that gathered together on Saturday night was a blissful reminder of the richness and depth of intimacy I have in my relationships. Marianne did an incredible job of coordinating and moving the evening along. First wine and appetizers, then an amazing potluck, followed by the main event: a show for and about me.
I treasure creativity. Especially in the ones I know and love. So what happened that night filled me up with a dose of pure joy. People were asked to sing a song, write a poem, tell a story about me, do an interpretive dance, do an impersonation of me, or create a piece of art. For two hours we all sat in absolute delight as people shared what they had taken the time to so lovingly put together. An incredible song by K. Lo, K. Fo and Mary that packed in pretty much every interest and quirk I have into one awesome tune, complete with a few choreographed moves, an awesome rap from Bruce written from the perspective of my mangy neighborhood cat that I dubbed Ghetto Kitty, secret revelations about my fear of flying from Nae and about my naughty side from Mr. Reed (in front of my mom), a sweet musical toast by Beth and Greg that had everyone gathered singing around the baby grand piano, a lovely tribute from Elkeer and Robb that made me cry, an appearance by my favorite character "The Choreographer" courtesy of Marianne, a twisted, hysterical re-telling of my life story from my brothers, fantastic poems and stories from Tricia, Katie, Jeff, Antonio, Raquel, Deb, Amy, Chloe, Keri, Brenda, Bonnie, Susan and Lori, an adorable song on the guitar and mandolin from David and Nancy (with John on rhythm), an original ditty from Linda, a touching poem and handmade remembrance from my mom, an accordion song from Gary, an Irish jig from Tony and Martel, a stunning piece of henna artwork from Brittnie, and a moving, funny poem from Rajeev called "On Why Infants Love You". Now, I had lobbied hard for weeks for someone to do an interpretive dance because I felt pretty strongly that I needed one to be completely satisfied. Imagine my surprise when Travis was the one who delivered. I was on the floor crying, I was laughing so hard. These were the best gifts I've ever received. At the best party I have ever attended. Ever.
These expressions and words of love made turning 40 a gentle, welcome breeze. Instead of focusing on what I may be losing by turning another year older, my perspective turned towards what I have. It was kind of what I imagined if I ever had a wedding - a celebration that was relational, different, genuine, and full of heart. The amount of love and good feeling in that room on Saturday night was far beyond description and comprehension. I only know that we all felt it. And that I never wanted it to end.....












4 comments:
Yay, Staci!
Is it weird to say that your 40th may have been the most fun birthday I've ever been to as well?
Seriously. It was just so great. Very meaningful and all sorts of lovely.
Not weird at all! It gives me all kinds of pleasure to hear that.
Your toast was seriously adorable and sweet:)
:-D
Oh my gosh, your party was the best! You obviously run in a seriously talented circle, but more to the point, you are ADORED by so many (including me, of course!)! FYI, we limited our song time wise-not wanting to overdo it- so we left lots of factoids & talents out of our song. Seriously. Because you are so very exceptional, you are impossible to sum up in merely one song. XO
Post a Comment