I'm a sucker for festivals. When AAA's Westways Magazine lands in my mailbox, I immediately circle all of the upcoming festivities and plot my course. A couple of weeks ago mi madre y yo went to the Sicilian Festa in San Diego so's I could be with my people. I never knew that heaps of Sicilians settled along the shores of San Diego and made their living as tuna fishermen. They established a Little Italy, which was eventually bifurcated by the 5 freeway, but part of it remains and every year they organize a good-sized Sicilian celebration. They had performers, craft booths, and all manner of Italian wares (I managed to walk away without a "Proud to be Italian and Irish" license plate frame or the t-shirt with "Fuggedaboudit!" stretched along the front.) The real star, of course, is the food. Ahhhh. A slice of pizza, a sausage sandwich, and an Italian ice wedged tightly in our guts, we settled down to watch the pasta eating contest.
The paradox of insular language
3 years ago

1 comment:
Go, lady, go!!!
Post a Comment