Thursday, June 30, 2011

This Week

I had a commercial audition yesterday for the first time in years. People kept forwarding me the casting notice for a Hunt's Tomato Sauce commercial because they were searching for a quirky female ukulele player who plays comedic songs. Strange, but true. Miraculously, I got called in, but they unfortunately didn't let anyone listen to the music track of the song before coming to the audition. They sent the chords and lyrics, but with a uke, unless you know the tune already, you actually need real sheet music or an mp3 or something to know how the melody goes, how long to strum, the rhythm, etc. I totally blew it, needless to say. I never liked auditioning for commercials because I'm not a saleswoman. Absolutely not my strong point.

If I had time to rehearse it would have been killer fun, really. It was a cute little song. Or if I got to play one of my own songs...well, man that would have been bitchin', as they say. But alas and alack, no. I was awkward and kind of sucky and did all sorts of things I know you're never supposed to do in an audition. But the great thing about not really pursuing this stuff anymore is that I didn't so much care. The shame of failing mainly lasted while I was in the room and once I left....I was just relieved.

Those poor casting people shot themselves in the foot by not making the track available ahead of time so we could practice well. They probably think it's really tough to find a good ukulele player, but they likely had a number of good options who just didn't do well with only 10-15 minutes practice and the pressure of the audition situation. I was a little bummed - I was already thinking maybe if I got it the windfall would be a little gift to make up for the fact that I won't be making much money from my condo investment. No such luck.

Things picked up later that night when I went to a chamber of commerce mixer for work and won a $50 gift card for a restaurant. Right on!!! I did a little business networking....or so I thought. But one of the older men I talked with, a fellow Italian (who is old enough to be my dad or something between my dad and grandpa), called me at the office first thing this morning to invite me to a private pool party. At his house. Not what I had in mind for the whole networking thing, but it was entertaining.

In other news....today was the first meeting of the neighborhood watch I started at my lair! Two Burbank police officers descended on my condo, along with a roomful of neighbors, and now we're armed to keep our 'hood safe. We have all sorts of plans for community building and improvement, by gummy. Don't mess wid de Burbank, yo. We will cut you like a salami (perhaps one of my most overused phrases, but I love it so).

No comments: